Semrush is one of my favourite SEO tools. I use it for SEO audits, keyword research, competition analysis but also for web writing. As you can see, it’s a complete tool.
This blog post will explain how I wrote an article that generates 90% of my organic traffic with Semrush tools.
What is Semrush?
Semrush is a search engine optimization software that allows you to grow your online visibility from just one platform. It helps you attract and grow your audience faster.
The software provides you with more than 50 SEO, content marketing, competitor research, PPC, and social media tools.
What are Semrush features?
- Keyword Magic Tool,
- Position Tracking,
- Content Marketing,
- PPC campaigns,
- Rank Tracking,
- On-page SEO,
- Organic search.
Moreover, as an SEO tool, it is particularly appreciated for its ability to target, analyze and track keywords.
Build your content strategy with Semrush
Like I do every time I write a piece of content, you can use Content Marketing tools from Semrush to build your content strategy thanks to Topic Research, SEO Writing Assistant and SEO Content Template. These tools offer content support from A to Z: from topics to be exploited to planning, writing, optimization and performance monitoring of the published texts.
It allows you to build your content strategy in different ways:
- Subject search: by indicating the subject and country of search, the platform provides you with a series of themes and ideas of topics to be addressed on your site.
- Content recommendations: according to your chosen keyword, Semrush suggests the associated semantic field to insert in your content and ideas for backlinks.
- Copywriting Wizard: This tool allows you to evaluate the level of readability, originality and general optimization of your text.
- Brand Management: depending on the different sites you work with, Brand Monitoring helps you track the status of your online reputation (web and social media).
- Post tracking: connect your Google Analytics account to get a complete track of your text results!
- Content audit: share a series of data to analyze the status and performance of your published content to adapt your SEO strategy.
Exporting the different functions will help you build a solid content strategy to reach your audience effectively! In addition, the Writing Assistant will be a great ally in creating effective texts.
An article that ranks in the first results and generates 90% of web traffic from search results
So, how did I manage to write this content (in French) that generates about 90% of my organic traffic?
Step 1: Finding THE topic
First of all, you need to find THE topic you want to position yourself on. For that, Semrush offers Topic Research. It provides a list of words associated with your topic. How to do it? It’s easy: what do you want to share with your audience, and what are they looking for?
For me, I wanted to write about Instagram. So, I researched search intents, and I found that people were interested in “When to publish on Instagram.”
Use the Topic Research tool from Semrush to get some specific ideas about a topic; then, you can search on Google to validate them.
Step 2: Identifying a target keyword
After circling down my topic, I did some keyword research with Keyword Magic Tool. My goal was to narrow down my target keyword and some synonyms. You may prefer some keywords relevant for the search intent with some volume but mostly with less difficulty.
Try to avoid keyword stuffing by focusing on these keywords in your content.
Step 3: Writing SEO-friendly text
First, with the SEO Content Template, I was able to analyze my competitors’ content. Then, it gave me ideas to write winning optimized content.
After that, you can begin to write your article with the SEO Writing Assistant. It can evaluate the approximate number of words that your text should contain according to your target keywords. Also, it provides a series of additional data to improve your content! It instantly evaluates the quality of your content by scoring you according to:
- Readability: This score is evaluated according to the criteria of reading web writing;
- SEO optimization: According to the target keywords you mentioned, the presence of secondary keywords, and potential link problems;
- Tone of voice: Assigned according to the level of formality of your text, as well as consistency, which evaluates the consistency of tone used throughout the text;
- Originality: Available for some packages, it indicates the percentage of words copied and evaluates whether your content is plagiarized.
It is an exciting tool to ensure good web writing. You can better control the future performance and visibility of your content on search engines. Moreover, thanks to the Chrome extension or the WordPress extension, you can take advantage of the tool while writing on Google Docs or integrating the content on your site.
Step 4: Publish and share
And here too, Semrush can help you by:
- monitoring backlinks;
- tracking similar posts from competitors;
- providing optimizations ideas.
Weeks after the publication, I started to see new keywords that generated traffic. You can see it too with Position Tracking.
A year after, I noticed a decrease in traffic. So, I changed the title to “2021”, updated some paragraphs and meta tags, and republished it to the current date. After that, traffic was back on track.
What made this article a winner?
If you had to remember only one keyword in this whole article, it would be “relevance.” That’s, I think, what made this article great content. It answers questions from users, providing them with a good idea of what they should do. And the link-building strategy offers a great user experience as they can find other content about Instagram. That’s why you don’t want to forget internal links in your content. They help Google understand the relationship between pages.
Here are some statistics (impressions, clicks and click-through rates) extracted from Google Analytics.
I first published the blog post in June 2020. As you can see below, it took me two months to rank in position zero, thanks to structured data.
To conclude, I can say Semrush helps me a lot every day. And those significant data can prove it! Ready to trust the first place in search engines like Google?
Get a free trial of Semrush to boost your SEO strategies and digital marketing!